Friday, July 27, 2012

How to Be Healthier, Wealthier and More Creative

If Dr. Seuss, the National Endowment for the Arts and Groucho Marx say it, it must be true.

Reading can make you healthier, wealthier and more creative--and that's just for starters.

Reading is good for us in a myriad of ways. That may not be news to some of us, but sometimes it's helpful--and even fun--to be reminded of what we know.

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
_____

To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful, ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry.
Gaston Bachelard
_____

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.
Joseph Brodsky
_____

It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading. Something that will stretch their imagination--something that will help them make sense of their own lives and encourage them to reach out toward people whose lives are quite different from their own.
Katherine Patterson
_____

I Can Read With My Eyes Shut! Dr. Suess
I can read in red. I can read in blue.
I can read in pickle color too.
I can read in bed, and in purple, and in brown.
I can read in a circle and upside down.

I can read with my left eye.
I can read with my right.

I can read Mississippi with my eyes shut tight.

There are so many things you can learn about, but
You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.

If you read with your eyes shut, you’re likely to find
That the place where you’re going is far, far behind.
So that’s why I tell you to keep your eyes wide,
Keep them wide open . . . at least on one side!

_____

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read.
Mark Twain
_____

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Mason Cooley
_____

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
P.J. O'Rourke
_____

So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray. Go throw your TV set away. And in its place you can install, a lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

~Stephany Compton

No comments:

Post a Comment