Thursday, September 5, 2013

Staff Picks: Books That Aubrey Loves

Staff Picks features books recommended by staff members of the TWU Libraries. This edition is by Library Assistant Aubrey James, part of the Acquisitions team in the Technical Services Department of the Blagg-Huey Library on the Denton campus.

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
Philosophies presented through my favorite childhood stories!  I couldn't help but notice the irony of the image used for one of Taoism's central concepts--the uncarved block. My 5th grade teacher, Mr. Bl0ch, used to have "Pooh Day" once a month when he sported a Pooh tie to work and spent the first 20 minutes of class reading us Winnie the Pooh stories.

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
This was a recent read, but I feel like it's one I'll need to/want to read over again to identify all of the connections between stories and characters.  The focus on time as an immeasurable but prominent phenomenon is always an enticing theme.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
My favorite Hemingway book.  It's hard to describe its effect in words, but Hemingway's dry language and the Paris setting are aspects which give this story a place in my lifetime canon.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
I love the internal dialogue and visual aspects of this book!  Impossible but creative solutions to hardships and symbolic terminology conjured within the mind of an eccentric 9-year-old; pictures; and imperfect mark-ups within the text make this an uplifting read when your "boots are heavy."

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
This book was introduced to me by a college roommate, and I loved it so much I gave it to my sister for her high school graduation to remind her that staying true to yourself is crucial as life throws you curve balls.


~Aubrey James

No comments:

Post a Comment