Thursday, August 28, 2014

Mims' The Word: Placing Items on Reserve, Step By Step

Student Assistants Patrick Alessandra and Devon Burrell assist a library patron at the Circulation Desk of the 
Blagg-Huey Library on the Denton campus of TWU.  A lot happens in the Circulation Department--its staff 
members are responsible for checking out items, maintaining the stacks, keeping track of Lost and Found, offering 
reserve items, and more as described on the Services page of the TWU Libraries website.  August 25, 2014.  
Photograph by Sandy Cochran.
Editor's Note:  Mims' The Word is a series from Jason Mims, Stacks Manager with the Texas Woman's University Libraries.  A member of the TWU Libraries Circulation Department for two and a half years, Jason knows his stuff—about the department, what it does, and how it all pertains to the students, faculty and staff of TWU.  A TWU graduate, Jason is an unabashed bibliophile who loves his job and is excited to be working on the TWU Libraries blog. When not at the Circulation Desk he can usually be found somewhere in the stacks.

The start of a semester can be quite hectic, full of frenetic (and at times anxious) energy.  The hustle and bustle of new classes should be exciting, though, not cripplingly stressful, especially for professors and their departments.  So this one goes out to the faculty.  Let’s talk course reserves.

We’re going to discuss at a later date what course reserves are.  Today we’re just going to touch on how faculty members can put items on reserve (whether those items are personal/departmental or library-owned.)  In either case, the system in place to put items on reserve is user-friendly and quite simple.

Before we go any further, I want to direct your attention here.  All the information needed to place items on reserve is right there, on a page cleverly titled Information for Faculty.  This page is not hidden, but it does take a few clicks to reach (go to the libraries’ homepage on the TWU website; click the Services tab on the left; then under Reserve Materials on the right click the Information for Faculty link.)

There are two forms on this page.  One form is for putting a personal or departmental book on reserve.  Once you fill it out simply bring it to the Circulation Desk with the item (or you can fill it out at the desk itself; we like to keep a few copies of this form on hand.)  The other form on the Information for Faculty page is for library-owned materials; it is online only. Fill out the form, bring it in or email it and we will pull the item and place it on reserve.  If the item is currently checked out, we will recall it so it can be put on reserve.

Jason Mims, Stacks Manager with the TWU Libraries.  July 22, 2014.  
Photograph by Kristin Wolski.
The process sounds easy enough, yeah?  Just fill out some forms and bring us the books.  The library handles the rest.

There are some other things to keep in mind.  First and foremost, the library does not purchase textbooks.  If you need a book placed on reserve--and neither you, your department, or the library owns it--you are responsible for the purchase of that material.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but policy prohibits the purchase of textbooks.  If there is textbook supplemental material that you need, talk to your library liaison (a list of library liaisons is located here).  The library may be able to purchase supplemental material--just not the textbook itself.

Questions about reserves?  Please ask.  Call us in Circulation (940-898-3719), send us an email (, or walk right up to the desk (on the left as you enter the Blagg-Huey Library on the Denton campus.)  The best source of information on reserves is going to be our resident reserves rockstar, Reserves Supervisor Lisa Galletta.  Reach Lisa at 940-898-3342 or

Alright, ladies and gentleman, that’s it for this one.  Until next time.

~Jason Mims

No comments:

Post a Comment